Saturday, June 27, 2009

Leadership model and divine direction

In 5 minutes it will be 12:00 am. I guess that qualifies as an early morning moment right?

I really should be working on something else, but I felt like I really needed to record this, and typing is much faster than writing in my journal by hand.

I was asked a while ago to accompany a stake leader to help with some training and ideas for a small struggling Spanish branch within our stake. While I've been excited and happy to do so, I've had a difficult time trying to figure out what to prepare as I couldn't get hold of the people that I'll be working with to find out the time constraints, what they've been working on, and what I can help with etc. Finally, yesterday someone called me back. Unfortunately, I've been swamped all day today and started at 9:30 tonight trying to put this together.

While I found some general ideas that I'd like to teach, I'd been struggling to know exactly what to teach. I couldn't find my Spanish scriptures, so I grabbed some off of my bookshelf. The set I grabbed weren't actually mine. They were a companion's from my mission. They somehow made it home with me and I've never been able to track her down to return them to her - so here they sit on my shelf.

Anyways, as I've been jotting down notes and trying to get my lesson plan down and put together, I started with a prayer. Things really began to flow, but then I've got so many ideas I'm trying to figure out how to work them all. I decided to stop for a second and make a list of what my focus will be. Which principles am I really trying to teach, and what should I be teaching?

As I paused, my eyes wandered to the back of the 'borrowed' scriptures. There lay a picture of my companion and her family, tucked into the back of her scriptures. I pulled it out to look at it, and along with it came a jumble of other papers.

In addition to the papers, I found the plan of salvation done in construction paper - already ready. I'd been agonizing about wanting to use part of this, but not having the time to put it together. The other bonus is that it is ALREADY in Spanish!

Some might say - coincidence, but I don't really think so.

Then, I found some notes she'd taken from a missionary meeting. I couldn't believe the message and felt like it was really just for me.

It said -
Leadership Model

Whatever you do, you must teach others to do
1. Explain
2. Demonstrate
3. Practice with those being trained (most of the time in this)
4. Evaluate (positive and kind)
5. Practice again

Don't offend.

It also said that we need to find joy in being a member of the Church. This is interesting to me as part of my lesson is about joy.
Also - It is by doing that we learn. God Cannot break his commandments.
Rejoice that we have the commandments.

There are so many little nuggets in there - so much to ponder and think about. Unfortunately, I am tired and deciding to go to bed.
I believe the rest of my inspiration will come in the morning, but just wanted to get this down now while it was fresh.

No comments: