Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cool experience

So - yes, I'm still working on Isaiah, but I had a cool experience today that I wanted to write about.

I see in my life, over and over again the Lord's hand.
Today we spent the day up valley because we'd spent the night there. The girls and I ran to Wally's for some $2.00 flip flops since someone didn't bring any shoes with us at all. On our way back, I was planning on going and hanging out in the village, but the girls began shouting - No..you promised we could go to ...park - we really want to go there. I thought they'd changed their minds or forgotten. So, we went to the park.

While the girls played, I sat down in some shade and watched. A woman walked up and sat down nearby.
After several minutes, we began to converse. In the back of my head I had the thought - ask her if she has a church to go to - I wasn't sure about that, but kept it there, in the back of my head. We talked about music and many things. Turns out she is from Columbia (the country.) She is here seeking political asylum and is a single mom working 2 jobs. She had a pretty sad story, which I heard a very small fraction of.

As we were talking, I brought it up. I asked if she had support, or a church to go to. She was sort of surprised, and asked if I had one? I told her yes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She looked really shocked and told me that she had just been baptized into this church 3 months ago - it was the most beautiful experience of her life. She has been struggling because she has not been able to get off of work on Sundays to attend church.

She said that she had been praying today that the Lord would bring her something or uplift her at the park today, and there I was - her sister. It was pretty trippy. I shared with her some encouragement and we hugged several times etc. Before I left, she asked if I would say a prayer with her. So, right there in the park, we sat down and said a prayer together for her and her struggles.

I am amazed at how well the Lord knows us, and how often He sends others to answer our prayers. This sister of mine and I connected - and I had such a great opportunity to share my faith in a Heavenly Father who loves us with her. Some might call it a coincidence, but I don't, I call it an answer to a prayer.
What a blessing to have the Lord use you as such!
It reminds me of a talk by President Eyring - he said something to the effect that each day we need to pray to be the Lord's instrument - if we are prepared and willing, the Lord will use us - but it is up to us and our willingness!
What a special lesson I had today.

1 comment:

Milly said...

That is beautiful! I love when I know I was an answer to someone's prayers! It is true, the Lord really does love us so much, and He wants us to be so happy! We just have to be aware of our brothers and sisters instead of just staying in our own little world. What a wonderful experience and blessing you had.