Saturday, June 14, 2008

June 15, 2008

I haven't posted for a while - a very long while. I've been working my way through Isaiah - VERY SLOWLY. I think I'm on Chapter 11 now (maybe.) But I've been enjoying it. Isaiah is a literary genius and I've really enjoyed slowing down and learning to appreciate him - and his distinctive writing style.

I've been thinking a lot lately in regards to the parable of the vineyard. Israel/Us today have been preserved and put in a choice spot. The husbandman (Christ) watches over us. The vine, the grapes and the press are all symbolic of Christ's atonement. He gives his ALL for all of us - through the atonement. However, we often give sour fruit.. we don't apply the atonement or use it in our lives - we just ignore it and think we can do it on our own. It's true but unfortunately not the case in reality.
Anyways - I always thought about Israel when I read this, but I think it is very applicable to us today.

Today my husband and I sat down to watch a movie. As I started to wash the dishes afterwards, I was thinking about it. One of the characters said - "what kind of adult doesn't even swear?", there were references to drugs, infidelity, fornication, alcohol, promiscuity, language, and homosexuality. As I add it up - it looks pretty bad.. as I thought about the show I realized how callused we can become to this stuff and how quickly it happens. Despite all of this - I would maybe term the movie as middle of the road. (We do have a filthy filter though - so I may be way off). I was just really disappointed in the show. Disappointed that movies have to have this crap in them, and that this is what our society teaches is okay, good, and acceptable. Totally delusional.

So - back to Isaiah... I found a verse that I've always loved - rather a phrase.
I keep seeing it here and there and I always seem to fall in love with it again each time I see it. It says, " and His arm is stretched out still." Our Heavenly Father loves us no matter What we do. Sure, we disappoint Him, but His love doesn't change.
His arm (a symbol of his power) is ALWAYS stretched out to us. It is like we are on a hill, trying to ascend. He is reaching out, always ready to grab on and help pull us up to the top, but He can't do that unless we put our hand in His. Pretty simple in theory - so difficult in practice.
Anyways - it is a good thing to remember - His arm is stretched out still..

No comments: