Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mosiah 15-17/Censorship, Types & Personal Commitment

As I read this Mosiah's words and the narrative today, I heard an echo. I took the time using my topical guide to find some similar phrases, and was amazed at the type and shadow of Christ that is seen here within this passage.

Before I go into that, one thing that I've noted as interesting throughout this section is the censorship. Living in the US, it is hard to fully understand that one could be put to death solely for his words. I contemplated on China's Tiananmen Square protests in 1989 when 2-3,000 people were massacred.

Living in the US, we are blessed with the protection of freedom of speech. However, this is not necessarily the case in the rest of the world. It was not so in Abinadi's case, nor in Jesus Christ's case. Freedom of speech - what a blessing that I don't consider often enough.

Moving on, it was interesting to me to note the echo of Pilate's words to Christ when King Noah (Mosiah 17:11) is about to set Abinadi free because he believed him, yet the wicked priests (v. 12) went against him and stirred up the king's anger against him.
They then bound him and scourged him. What a comparison with Mark 15:15-19 and John 19:1.

As they began to burn Abinadi, he uttered a prophecy which I also found interesting (v. 17.) Here he prophecies that they would be smitten on every hand and driven and scattered. I found an interesting contrast with the prophecies regarding the Jews who killed Jesus Christ in 1 Ne. 19:13-14, and 3 Ne. 16:9. Almost the same prophecies are proclaimed.

Lastly, as I read this, I pondered the following question. What is the cost of discipleship? What is my personal cost. Abinadi gave his life. While I may not be called upon to be a martyr, am I equally willing to give my life? Do I currently give my life for what I believe?

Is my personal commitment such that I will remain faithful no matter what the circumstances?

If I have eternal goals, I need to plan and prepare for them so that I am prepared to pay the cost of attaining those spiritual and eternal goals.

Interestingly, it all depends on me, my decisions and my desires. It is an individual decision that only we can make for ourselves.

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes. I first heard it in the MTC as I was preparing to work as a missionary. It is by Joan of Arc as follows:

"The world can use these words. I know this now. Every man gives his life for what he believes. Every woman gives her life for what she believes. Sometimes people believe in little or nothing, and yet they give their lives to that little or nothing. One life is all we have, and we live it as we believe in living it and then it's gone. But to surrender what you are and live without belief is more terrible than dying - even more terrible than dying young."

Along those lines, as I used the BOM Institute study guide, it was interesting to note that as Alma is introduced here, he is very young. It is probable that Abinadi felt that his words were in vain. However, much of the religious history of the Nephite nation for the next 300 years is concerned with Alma and his descendants. Alma the Younger, his son Helaman, Helaman II, Nephi, and Nephi II (Christ's apostle when He visited the Americas) are all descendants of Alma. Amazingly, Abinadi affected the religious life of the Nephites for hundreds of years.
(CES BOM study guide p. 195)

No comments: