Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mosiah 2

I've been reading in the Book of Mormon and re-discovered Mosiah 2 last week. I still can't get over how moved I was as I read this chapter. I love the chiasma seen in this particular chapter. As it is broken down the theme of indebtedness is so prevalent. However what really caught my attention were some notes which I'd jotted in the margins previously about this chapter.

The notes were in regards to the definitions of the terms, granted and loaned. While a grant is something that is generally freely given, generally there are no specifications regarding the repayment. While something may be anticipated, it is not generally completely spelled out. Loaned however generally has a specific connotation in regards to repayment. If something is loaned, repayment is expected and exacted.

Therefore, as this chapter speaks about our lives being granted to us, and our breath loaned to us, I really stopped to consider - what is the expected repayment?
As I contemplated this, I contemplated the chapter and King Benjamin's words on service. As he explains, when we are in the service of our fellow men, we are in the service of God. We repay our loan for our life and our breath in serving other people.
I believe that service is the key to life. Instead of focusing on what we have or want, we share what we have and help to lift others. Jesus Christ is such an amazing example of giving His life in our service. Everything He did was to help others. He had no ulterior motives, nor any focus on himself. His great expiation was an act of service for each one of us so that we can return to our Father in Heaven. He gave His life so that we might live.
What greater sermon could King Benjamin have given? I'm not sure why this was so poignant for me, but I've fallen in love with this chapter like never before. My gratitude for the Savior has grown while my determination to serve more, be more selfless and do better has increased.

No comments: