Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Three Fathers

Yesterday as I continued my journey through Mosiah in the Book of Mormon, I came across something I found very intriguing. While I still have more to think about and ponder in regards to this, one of the study manuals I read along with my scriptures pointed out that we need three fathers to become like our Heavenly Father.

The first Father is our Heavenly Father who gave us our spirit body.
The second father is our earthly father who gives us our physical body.
The third Father is Jesus Christ. While I had always understood that He created all things under the direction of the Father, I learned that there is much more than solely this. When Jesus Christ paid for our sins, He took them upon Him. When we repent and are baptized, and take upon ourselves His name, we are adopted into the Abrahamic Covenant and become members of His family - He is the Father, or as scripture reads - 'the author of our salvation' (I love that!)

Here's the new understanding I gained yesterday that adds to this. When Jesus Christ was resurrected, as we all know, the body and spirit which had been separated were reunited. When we are resurrected after our death at resurrection, this is through Jesus Christ who broke that barrier and overcame the death. Our resurrection is as another birth where our spirits and bodies are re-united and it is through Jesus Christ - the Father of our resurrection.
I'm not sure if I got this all out quite like I'd hoped to, but I've enjoyed pondering this and wanted to record and share this insight.

No comments: